About the groom
Our aim is to use our knowledge and marry it with your wishes to create a groom for your dog that you are happy with.
- On arrival we will meet and greet you and your dog. We will always ask what you want from the groom and what your requirements are. We will always be happy to provide our recommendations based on breed and coat type. We will ask questions to ascertain if there are any behaviour issues, skin problems, fleas or if there is anything you would like us to be aware of.
- We will ask you to fill out a client registration form. This can be downloaded from our downloads page.
- The dog is left with us at Canine Class.
- The coat is assessed for matting, fleas, skin problems, irritations and to assess the best type of shampoo for the dog.
- The coat is brushed out, ears cleaned and nails cut.
- During bathing the dog enjoys two washes in a specialist shampoo to suit its coat and skin type and a massage. Conditioner is added at the end on some coat types. Anal glands can be emptied at this stage on request if a written vet request has been presented to us.
- Drying - The coat is blow dried until it is completely dry and any further dead coat is blasted away at this stage.
- Styling - The cutting, clippering and scissoring begins based on the earlier discussions with the owner.
- If there are no skin problems, perfume completes the groom.
- The style of cut along with blades used are recorded on our database for future visits.
- Each groom takes 2-3 hours and we will telephone or text you to collect your dog when we have finished. We groom with the dogs ability to manage mentally and physically so we remain vigilant and responsive to their needs . Some dogs may need more time and reassurance on their initial groom which is why we like to telephone on completion of the groom.
Tailoring the grooming
We are able to tailor any part of our service to meet your requirements. Please call us to discuss what you would like for your dog.
Bath and Brush out only
We offer a separate bath only or bath and brush out service.
We offer a flea bath and brush out for your dog to help eliminate fleas or just as precaution before your next flea treatment.
Please call 01761 411132 to arrange to have your dogs nails cut at our salon.
Pick up and drop off service
If you book in advance we can arrange a pick up and drop off service.
We recommend puppies are bought in for a bath, blow dry, ear clean, feet trim and nail cut and a cuddle at 3months plus (depending on the dog) to give them an introduction to us and what the experience is all about.
Older, very nervous or disabled Dogs
When booking the dog in please let us know any special needs so we can allocate two groomers to caring for your dog or to ensure the correct environment so to enhance their comfort during their grooming experience.
We would prefer for the dog to have been with you at least two weeks before you leave them with us in the grooming room so it has an established bond with you.
Under the terms of the animal welfare act it is illegal to cause pain and suffering to a dog which dematting will. We operate a clip off policy for heavily matted dogs so if the dog in our professional opinion the dog will suffer from being brushed out the coat will be clipped short. We do not like to do this but we will offer advice how to keep the coat in a good condition so this will not be necessary for following grooms.